Subject Matter 2019
This year we are looking for 30 minute One Act Plays on the theme Faith Within a Contemporary Context.
The play may cover any aspect drawn from one or several verses of Ecclesiastes 3: 1-6 in the Old Testament. It can be an outright comedy or a more serious approach but still showing touches of humour.
- The script should not have been performed within a professional theatre context nor published in any other way than in a personal manner by the writer by email or included on a blog or writers forum.
- Copyright of the play remains with the writer but the winning authors give non-exclusive right to perform their plays to an invited audience as part of the award for this competition.
- For each submitted text, the writer should give a brief synopsis of their aim and purpose and pay the appropriate fee for each text.
- The play should not have more than five characters, and can be a monologue or double-hander. It can be in any style.
- The copies should be printed on one side only of A4 paper and pages numbered. A cover page should bear the writer’s name, contact details, and play title, but only the play’s title must occur in any ensuing pages.
- A script should be submitted both in Microsoft Word and emailed to the Competition Administrator, plus 2 printed copies posted to him at the address given on the application form.
- If however you do not have access to the internet or email, please send 6 printed copies so scripts can be sent to the judges.
There are two awards:
- THE ACG AWARD for YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS
Age 21 and under.
- THE ACG AWARD for PLAYWRIGHTS
Any AGE over 21.
The Competition Administrator is Tony Jasper, author, broadcaster, playwright and actor.
Scripts will be judged by a team of distinguished judges, including theatre and radio directors and producers. Judges will be named in due course.
How to Enter
There are two Awards, but you need to indicate which category you come under:
- If you are 21 in 2019 or under, tick the box and give your date of birth to enter for the ACG Award for Young Playwrights.
- If you are over 21, then tick the box for the ACG Award for Playwrights.
Entry fee for students and unwaged is £10 per text, otherwise £30 per text. A detailed commentary on a script can be given for an extra fee of £50, and will be by someone much involved in the theatre. An application form can be downloaded as a pdf here, or obtained from the ACG office, click here for contact details.
Entries are now being received. Closing date is 11th September 2017.
The Awards Presentation
The Award Ceremony will take place in the Autumn, venue and date to be confirmed.
The winning scripts will be announced via the ACG website and Facebook pages and showcased in part or whole by professional actors at the Awards Ceremony or at an event arranged by ACG.
TONY JASPER Administrator & Judge
Tony Jasper has extensive credits at academic and practical levels; in radio, television, journalism, playwriting and authorship of some 80 books, one of which is Jesus Centre Stage, a study of Jesus in theatre, and written with Kenneth Pickering (Highland Books). He runs the Jasperian Theatre Company. He has also, as an actor, appeared in numerous plays. Full details can be found on googling ‘Jasperian Theatre’ / ‘Tony Jasper’ and following the given directions for his personal profile.